It’s always so inspiring to learn from experienced career musicians and educators. In this episode with Jack Pantazis, you’ll learn how he overcame many challenges to become one of the best career musicians in the industry. Backed with 35 years of experience as a professional musician and 30 years as an educator, he shares pearls of wisdom that will help you get the right mindset, approach, and experiences to become a better student and musician.
- Why you shouldn’t be afraid of making mistakes.
- The lessons Jack has learned from his experiences playing live.
- Jack shares his background, teaching style, and who influenced and inspired him to teach this way.
- The difference between a teacher and a mentor.
- What he learned from gigs.
- Balancing all the things happening in his life.
- Jack’s advice to advanced players who do want to become professional musicians and go down the path of auditioning and going to music school.
- Advice for individuals who want to be professional musicians but are discouraged by family and loved ones.
Guitar Teaching Resources Mentioned
Jack Pantazis is one of a rare breed. He is an in-demand professional musician for the past 35 years and an educator with approximately 30 years of teaching experience. Primarily, Jack is fundamentally a jazz musician whose mastery skills and artistry also cross over into other styles such as pop, rock, fusion, Latin, and classical. Jack has accompanied international artists that includes Grammy Nominated Mike Stern (ex-Miles Davis guitarist), American jazz great trombonist Bill Watrous and Australian’s own, James Morrison and Marina Prior just to name a few. Jack is the guitarist for Channel Nine’s Australia wide broadcast of ‘Carols By Candlelight Orchestra’ for the past 8 years under the baton of John Foreman.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.