In today’s podcast episode, join us as we chat with John Henny, a renowned vocal coach with over 25 years of experience in the music industry. Learn about his techniques in maintaining vocal health, improving sound quality, and extending a singer’s range without limitation. Discover the difference between vocal teaching and vocal coaching and why playing by ear is crucial for instrumental musicians. Learn how playing by ear and singing go hand-in-hand to improve your musical skills. John also shares some effective tips and tricks for teachers to get kids singing and the benefits of encouraging your students to sing and accompany themselves. Don’t miss out on this valuable conversation!
- Get a glimpse of John’s daily routine and his professional background in a quick overview.
- The difference between vocal teaching and vocal coaching.
- Is playing by ear an important skill for instrumental musicians?
- Discover the connection between playing by ear and singing and how it can help you become a better musician.
- Effective steps to help students hear the bass movement when playing by ear.
- Some tips and tricks for teachers on ways to get kids singing and improve their vocal skills.
- Learn some effective steps to accompany yourself on guitar or piano with ease.
- The benefits of encouraging your students to sing and accompany themselves.
Guest Links Mentioned
- John Henny Website
- John Henny Facebook Page
- The Intelligent Vocalist Podcast
- John Henny Instagram Page
- John Henny YouTube Page
John Henny is a leading vocal coach in the music industry, with over 25 years of experience, renowned for his teaching skills. His techniques are designed to maintain vocal health, improve overall sound quality, eliminate voice cracks, and extend the singer’s range, allowing them to express themselves without limitation. John Henny is not only an accomplished vocal coach but also a respected lecturer who has spoken at renowned colleges and institutes like USC, Paul McCartney’s Liverpool Institute of the Arts, and The Academy of Contemporary Music in England. He is also a Master Teacher for vocal coaches worldwide, conducting annual teaching engagements in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
At Forte, we believe the only thing standing in the way of someone’s musical aspiration is access to the right teacher. That’s why we’re building the world’s most trusted platform for online music education: To ensure that anyone, anywhere, who aspires to any level of musicianship – or to make a living from teaching it – has the right tools and support to make that dream a reality. Forte offers you every tool you need to start or scale your online lesson studio. Additionally, you can find more of the type of students you enjoy teaching and connect with them on our audio-prioritized video platform built specifically for music lessons.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.