In this exciting episode of our podcast, we have the privilege of sitting down with Joseph Hoffman, founder of Hoffman Academy and the mastermind behind the groundbreaking Hoffman Method for Piano. With his online piano lessons captivating over 200,000 students across 115 countries, Joseph has revolutionized piano education worldwide. We delve into what sets his piano method apart from the rest, exploring the insightful concept of ‘sound before symbol’ and its profound impact on music education.
Join us as we uncover the unique approach of the Hoffman Method and dive into Joseph’s inspiring journey from teacher to method creator and online academy owner. We also shed light on the often overlooked skill of playing by ear in traditional lessons. And finally, Joseph shares his ideas and practical tips for introducing this invaluable art to his students. Get ready to discover proven strategies for incorporating playing by ear as a regular and integral part of music lessons. This is an episode you won’t want to miss!
Playing by Ear From Lesson One
- Joseph shares what sets his piano method apart from the rest in an insightful discussion.
- Why ‘sound before symbol’ is the better approach in music education.
- Discover the unique approach of the Hoffman Method.
- Joseph’s inspiring journey from teacher to method creator and online academy owner.
- The valuable skill of playing by ear and why it has been overlooked in traditional lessons.
- His ideas and practical tips on how he introduces the art of playing by ear to his students.
- Insights on helping teachers who lack a singing background and haven’t introduced singing to their students from the start.
- Addressing students who express a desire to play songs without available sheet music.
- Proven strategies for incorporating playing by ear as a regular and integral part of music lessons.
- Hoffman Academy Website
- Hoffman Academy YouTube Channel
- Related: How Teaching My Piano Students To Play By Ear Changed My Life
Joseph Hoffman (M.M.), founder of Hoffman Academy and creator of the groundbreaking Hoffman Method for Piano, started playing piano at six years old. Joseph is a YouTube personality, Kodaly-certified music educator, and also a former faculty member at BYU’s School of Music. He has dedicated his life to teaching music in a fun and engaging way. His online piano lessons have reached over 200,000 students across 115 countries, transforming the way piano education is accessed worldwide. From his studio in Portland, Oregon, where he lives with his two teenage sons, Joseph continues to inspire budding musicians and break down barriers in music education.
At Forte, we believe the only thing standing in the way of someone’s musical aspiration is access to the right teacher. That’s why we’re building the world’s most trusted platform for online music education: To ensure that anyone, anywhere, who aspires to any level of musicianship – or to make a living from teaching it – has the right tools and support to make that dream a reality. Forte offers you every tool you need to start or scale your online lesson studio. Additionally, you can find more of the type of students you enjoy teaching and connect with them on our audio-prioritized video platform built specifically for music lessons.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.