Teaching Pop Resources Page
If you’re a classically-trained musician, trying to teach pop can put you way out of your comfort zone!
In fact, for many teachers, they don’t even give it a chance because they simply haven’t been trained in what to do.
Rest assured, I make the whole process really easy to understand and integrate into your teaching in my online training course called PianoFlix: Teaching Pop Piano.
PianoFlix is a comprehensive 8-part online video training course that takes you through from beginning pop teaching to advanced and includes videos on finding music, simplifying arrangements, using technology and even helping students create their own arrangements.
If you’re looking to watch the videos and complete the course, then scroll down to find out how you can become a member of my Inner Circle at a special discount price today below.
In the meantime, check out these links to some of my most popular articles and videos.
Blog Articles & PDFs: Pop, Chords, Improv
- Top 10 Pop Songs for Piano Students
- 10-week Chord Teaching Lesson Plan – step-by-step lesson plan of how I teach chords over the course of a term (only available to Inner Circle members)
- Teaching Video: Students Improvising Backing Tracks for Scales
- Teaching Video: Chord Progressions for Beginners
- Teaching 12 Bar Blues to Inspire Beginners
- Using “Sus” Chords to Inspire Beginners
- B.S. Chords
- Chord Playing for Beginners
- Teaching Classical Piano by Teaching Pop Piano – a great article with examples about how to link “ingredients” of music between pop and classical
- TTTV Podcast Episode 9: Paul Harris on Simultaneous Learning – get the background on this revolutionary approach to teaching and preparing for teaching from the master himself: the UK’s Paul Harris. One of the most popular podcast episodes so far and all about finding the links in music that give students the most depth in their understanding.
- How to build essential musicianship with pop songs students love – how understanding and notating lead sheets can provide students with a deeper understanding of music
- Notestar App for backing tracks – the best play-along app for piano students. Provides band and full vocals with music and lead sheet on-screen. Highly customisable, regularly updated with the latest music.
- Best iPad apps for Piano Teachers – check out my list of recommendations. Read about what iPad models and sizes I recommend for piano teachers.
- Pop Piano Hits – One of the best series of pop music in easy arrangements that actually sound good!
- Noviscore – best download site for pop piano sheets at three levels of difficulty.
Are you serious about developing your piano teaching?
My Inner Circle Piano Teaching Community is where the most dedicated, creative and innovative teachers from around the world meet to share ideas, ask questions, watch training and motivate each other to be the best teachers they can be.
“The Inner Circle is a piano teacher’s one-stop shop for creative inspiration! Not only do you get all of Tim’s secret formulas for making piano come alive for your students, but you get to collaborate with other teachers from all over the world. I’ve already purchased several helpful books or read informative articles that others have suggested. Exciting to be a part of something so innovative. Thanks, Tim!” Marie Lee
As a member of the Inner Circle, you get instant access to:
- All my resources including my top-rated “Teaching Pop Piano” 8-part online course and an ever-expanding library of other courses on topics such as Teaching Beginners, 12 Bar Blues, Studio Marketing, Facebook Advertising, Using Lead Sheets, etc.
- Monthly member masterminds
- Recordings of all my keynotes and workshops
- Our online community forum to ask any questions you want
- Training videos, webinars, PDFs, lesson plans
- Regular member challenges
Here’s what one of the members, Wendy, said recently:
“Well what can I say about the Inner Circle – it’s fabulous! I love the amount of information and teaching ideas that I have come across so far and I still have plenty to explore. I love hearing what other teachers have to say about how they teach and the resources they use. It’s also been a boost to my self-confidence as a teacher to know that I am on the right track with my teaching when I read what other teachers are doing and realise that I do a lot of the same things. Accepting the Practice Challenge (5 hours – no excuses!) has put me right back on the path to playing the piano more myself and has reminded how much I love to play. The Pianoflix teaching Pop videos – I first viewed these almost 18 months ago and I can honestly say that since then they have saved me losing at least 4 students to date. I feel that being part of a teaching community is really making me a better teacher and I don’t think you could get a better community than the one that Tim has created.” Wendy Love
If this sounds like you, then the first step is to watch my introductory video and read all about the membership here.
If you’d like to join, then I’d like to offer you a very special bonus.
Get $10 off per month or $100 an annual membership by using one of these coupon codes when you join:
- For monthly membership, use this code: WORKSHOPM16
- For monthly membership, use this code: WORKSHOPA16
I can’t wait to welcome you into my Inner Circle and keep today’s dialogue, learning and motivation going.