Have you ever wondered if you’re fulfilling your true life’s purpose? Or are you one of those who have been discouraged to pursue their goals because of the lack of courage and fear of failure? In this episode, Angela Myles Beeching helps us navigate these thoughts and feelings to set you on the right course.
Our topic is equally relevant to both musicians and music teachers.
Angela is a leader in the field of music career development and she maintains a thriving online coaching practice to help musicians get more of their best work out into the world so that they can finally become the artists they are meant to be.
- [04:07] Angela gives us a quick overview of her keynote at the MTNA.
- [05:45] She talks about the business and entrepreneurialism program for musicians.
- [09:16] The story of how she started learning and teaching music.
- [13:29] Talking about career development and entrepreneurship as a part of university courses.
- [19:04] The importance of teachers having an artistic vision.
- [22:52] Finding your core purpose and linking it with the marketing side of your studio.
- [25:27] The power of storytelling and how teachers and musicians can use it.
- [26:59] Angela gives us advice on networking for teachers and musicians.
- [29:34] Why we should try new things and put ourselves out there.
- [31:55] Angela’s top tips for teachers.
Transcript of the show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
About our Guest Angela Beeching Myles
Angela Myles Beeching has been in the industry for decades and has made incredible changes and had immense impact on so many teachers and musicians around the world, particularly in the area of helping students in conservatories and college areas to find out more about career opportunities and entrepreneurship. She is the former director of career and entrepreneurship programs at the Manhattan School of Music, Indiana University, and New England Conservatory. She’s a Fulbright scholar and holds a doctorate in cello performance from Stony Brook University. She’s the author of the classic, Beyond Talent: Creating a Successful Career in Music. Angela maintains a thriving online coaching practice, helping musicians get more of their best work out into the world so that they can finally become the artists they are meant to be.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.