Join the the preeminent professional development, learning and networking community for instrumental music teachers.
In some parts of the world, seasonal camps season is upon us, but what does it look like running online summer music camps?
Jennifer Foxx, a Top Music Pro expert teacher and owner of Music Educator Resources, talks to us about running great online summer camps for your piano students. If you’ve never thought about having one, I’m pretty confident that after you listen to this episode, you’ll be looking at the concept in a different light.
Jennifer shares heaps of information on how she conducts her camps, where she gets resources, how you can make it work with templated kits ready-made, and so much more. Particularly, in this time of COVID-19, Jennifer shows us how you can still continue your students’ learning and practice through fun and engaging online summer music camps.
Transcript of the Show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll learn about creating engaging online summer camps for your students:
- [04:55] Jennifer’s basis behind running online music camps.
- [06:50] Benefits of teaching online in a camp format.
- [08:08] Why summer camps are still relevant this year and during this pandemic.
- [09:35] An overview on the camps that she runs.
- [10:36] Differences between doing live vs. online camps.
- [11:48] A look at how she runs her camps.
- [13:52] Advantages of online camps.
- [15:29] Pros and cons of buying or creating your own resources.
- [16:40] Great summer practice ideas teachers can implement.
- [20:34] A quick recap on practice packets and workshops.
- [21:59] Her membership to Daniel McFarlane’s Supersonics Piano.
- [24:06] Assigning summer practice buddies between students via Tonara.
- [26:22] Jennifer’s tuition structure and cost pricing her summer camps.
- [28:46] Scheduling lessons for camps or practice packets.
- [30:09] Communicating with parents on setting up classes.
- [31:10] Jennifer’s resources at the Top Music Marketplace.
- [33:25] Tips for teaching online.
About our Guest
Jennifer Foxx is one of our TopMusicPro expert teachers. She has been teaching piano for over 30 years and running summer camps for 25 years. She creates helpful resources and tips for fellow piano teachers through her business, Music Educator Resources.
Thank you for tuning in!
In conclusion, there are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, and I’m grateful that you’ve chosen mine. Whether you’re at the gym, on the bike or in the car, I know that you and your students will get lots out of what you learn in the long run.
Just make sure you try out some of the ideas before they get lost in the business of your next lessons!
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons on the left of the page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes or on my Facebook page. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally.
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.