In this episode, Nicola Cantan takes over the podcast to introduce us to Melanie Bowes and the wonderful world of learning in group lessons.
Melanie has such an interesting perspective on group teaching. If you are absolutely sure that you never want to do group teaching, we encourage you to listen anyway. There’s definitely something here for everyone including just understanding how to differentiate things for different levels of students, teaching online, and so much more.
- Common myths and misconceptions about group teaching.
- Things teachers need to invest in for group teaching.
- Options for teaching spaces for groups.
- The differences of private versus group lessons.
- Mistakes teachers can make when starting to teach groups.
- The importance of headphones in classes.
- Dealing with students who are behind or ahead.
- General progress of students who are learning in group lessons.
- Melanie shares more about the KeyNotes Program.
- KeyNotes Music Website
- Group Piano Pioneers Facebook Group
- Related: 5 Tips to Help You Convert to Group Piano Lessons
Melanie Bowes is the founder of KeyNotes Music, a group piano program which focuses on collaborative group learning in the foundation stages of piano. Having taught for many years as a school music teacher, plus her extensive post-graduate qualifications in music education, Melanie has brought together all her experience and knowledge to support teachers in delivering innovative and progressive group classes. Her work in curriculum design and research into how children learn in the wider sense have led to the creation of KeyNotes Music which uses a cyclical curriculum structure and differentiated learning to ensure maximum impact on learning and the management of individual learners within group classes.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.